The Biggest Disability

I’ve noticed a strange and tragic phenomenon recently. I’m not sure if it’s new, or if I just spend my entire life on social media now so I recognize it more, but it’s heartbreaking.

People have lost the ability to laugh. At themselves. At others. At jokes. It has become incredibly rare to see someone joke about anything without about 400 people being offended. As someone who is constantly joking about myself and my disability, this is a huge hurdle. And I’m not great at hurdles.

I have had to literally give friends of mine permission to laugh with me at my disability. Not just “haha no you can laugh” but “if you don’t learn to joke about this I will end you”. For a long time, I thought it was just because disability is such a taboo topic; then I pinpointed the problem. Approximately 99% of the population (probably, I haven’t done a survey) spends their whole life being offended. That leaves the 1% of us that actually have a sense of humor (sorry ’bout the rest of y’all, sucks to suck) in constant fear that something we say is going to offend someone.

thiefofjoy.gif

I AM disabled. I know this. It’s not news. Joking about it won’t make me any more or less aware of it.

The biggest disability in life is a bad attitude shitty sense of humor.

Advertisements

1 thought on “The Biggest Disability”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s